Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Relational issues...

I believe that my car (affectionally known as "Max") has gained self-awareness, become disgruntled over something I said or did, and resolved to publicly humiliate me.

Yesterday I was early picking up my boss from the airport, so I parked in short-term and read poetry on my phone until he had gotten his bags and was waiting for me at the terminal, at which point I attempted and failed to start my car. It wouldn't turn over, nothing. So my boss called a cab while I called AAA. But when I called the Kauai branch of AAA, before I had even spoken with anyone the system rerouted my call to the Ohio branch, which was just as confusing for them as it was for me: "Where are you parked?" "At the airport." "Which airport?" "The only one, Lihue." "What?" "Huh?"

And then I got disconnected.

Which worked out because just then the cab arrived and the driver swung by my car so we could transfer some stuff I'd bought at Costco to the cab. On a whim I tried to start my car again. Predictably, after all that trouble, it worked without a hitch.

What's the deal, Max? I just had the o2 filter replaced, got you an oil change, and renewed your registration... and you thank me by playing games with me?  

He acted out again this afternoon when I stopped to get gas in Kilauea. When I tried to start my car after filling up, the same thing happened: nothing. But when the attendant came to my rescue and had me "just try starting it one more time" so he could "hear what kind of sound it made," it roared right up.

Alright all you mechanics out there -- how can I show Max some love? What's his problem? Is it just a phase, or is there some deeper, underlying issue that needs to be addressed?

No comments: