Sunday, September 4, 2011

Mmmm... veggies!

I've been thinking for a while now that I would like to educate myself on nutrition because I literally know nothing (nothing!) about it. Now is the perfect time for me to start eating healthy for two specific reasons:


1) Kauai seems to be an organic hub. So so so many people eat all natural, unprocessed foods and are acutely knowledgeable about healthy eating. What little I know about nutrition I've picked up from the people here. I was introduced to quinoa, which is a superfood cooked as a grain (gluten-free, full of protein, contains all 9 amino acids), and I LOVE it. It's relatively easy to prepare, can be eaten with a variety of different foods, and is filling. I eat it in place of rice. Mmmm. I've also developed a liking for vegetables, which I thought would NEVER happen. I used to be revolted by tomatoes, but lately I've been buying them every time I go to the store.

2) I'm young! If I pay attention to my diet now, it will hopefully develop into a more healthy lifestyle that will stick with me through the years. I've been very blessed with a high metabolism for most of my life and haven't ever had to worry about gaining weight (in fact, there were a few years when I was frustrated at not being able to gain weight)... but just in the last year or so I've been aware of my body changing, and I've gained a few pounds. It's nothing I'm concerned about, but it is a sign that I need to be more intentional with the sort of foods I eat, the amount of snacking I do, and my exercise level.


So, I've just bought a well-reviewed nutrition book on Amazon and will begin my self-education as soon as it arrives. In the meantime (and thereafter) I'm going to recommence running every morning at the break of dawn, which sounds just awful but is something I really enjoy once I'm in the routine of it. It gives me a great burst of energy to begin the day and sets a pace of productivity. I also plan to restart my push-up routine (I have tiny arms, but somehow I'm a beast at pushups/pullups) and perhaps start doing some amateur yoga.

I used to say -- and am somewhat still of this mind -- that perfect health and fitness aren't all that important to me because life (and thus, this body) is so very temporary and short. In the great scheme of things that really matter, having a toned tummy is pretty trivial. Perhaps it's even vain. But I suppose I'd like to at least feel good while I'm on this earth, and being in shape and healthy will give me the freedom of physical activity. So, since I'm actually interested in nutrition for once, I'm going to take advantage of my curiosity and learn something new. Besides, I know from other people's lives that health is very easy to take for granted; you don't realize how important it is until you lose it.

3 comments:

SheilaJo said...

This is good thinking. And, here's one to add - Yogurt.

Anonymous said...

"You can do side bends or sit-ups, but please don't lose that butt"

-Sir Mix-a-lot

Anonymous said...

Any tips for what got you to like tomatoes? I need to eat more veggies myself.....

-Jeff