Monday, October 4, 2010

Workin'...



I’ve spent the ENTIRE DAY doing computer work (I think I’ve become cross-eyed) and the very last thing I feel like doing is blogging right now… but I’m f-o-r-c-i-n-g myself to because when I wake up in the morning I’ll be relieved that I’m caught up.  Ha.  Thinking ahead. 

I’ve had some ups and downs today.  There was a moment this afternoon that I decided I hated the responsibilities of being a (pseudo) personal assistant.  Nothing monumental occurred to spur that conclusion other than tidal waves of overwhelming self-doubt and fear of failure… but it was short-lived.  It seems like I sometimes need those discouraging moments to force me to buck up and put on my Confidence Hat.  I’ve also realized that I’m going to have to get over my grudge against “working with others,” as that is 90% of my job here.  Anyway, this evening was much better as I got into a work-groove, had an efficient brainstorming session with my employer, and ate some peanut butter M&Ms (I decided to ration them after all.) 

So other than work, all I did today was drive to Lihue to finalize the paperwork on my car insurance.  And guess what!?  Somehow, the ridiculously expensive speeding ticket I got in New York wasn’t on my record, so I got approved for preferred rate insurance… which is wayyyyyy cheap.  Six months of insurance on the preferred rate cost only slightly more than one month un-preferred.  Somebody please be as excited about this as I was.  Haha.  My insurance agent (a very nice man who invited me to watch Monday night football with a group of local high school teachers because I’m new to the island… I graciously passed.) sure seemed amused at my enthusiasm about the rate. 

But enough about today… yesterday was more interesting!

Yesterday morning I went to a very pleasant little tent-church called North Shore Christian Church.  Coincidentally, they’re in the middle of a building project as well (for those of you who don’t know, my home church Damascus Friends is also expanding.)  I got there a bit early, and when I entered the tent, the band was practicing “Your Love Never Fails,” which is one of the songs that my band often plays.  I immediately teared up and knew I’d gone to the right church.  I sat down and right away a girl animatedly introduced herself to me and asked to sit by me.  Her friend also came to sit with us, and the three of us had great conversation before the service started (15 minutes late.) 

The service itself was, well… nice!  The band was simplistic, but enjoyable in a very chill, island, don’t-worry-be-happy sort of way.  There were four high-schooled aged girls on the worship team—all singing melody, a guitarist, a keyboardist who played on a synth-strings setting the entire set, and a drummer.  The instruments didn’t stay together all the time… neither did the vocalists.  They closed with a ukulele-led rendition of "Amazing Grace," and at one point, all four of the vocalists and the congregation were all singing different verses... not in the artistic, individual-yet-corporate way... in the "oops" way.  But in some sort of grand spiritual sense, it didn’t really matter and it wasn’t distracting.  The preacher was spot-on (anyone who knows me well knows that I’m extremely critical [to a fault] of biblical teaching/scripture presentation… blame my parents) and even referenced Ohio, at which point the girls I’d made friends with elbowed me excitedly. 

After the service, there was a massive pot-luck lunch, which evidently is a weekly occurrence.  There’s a good possibility that will influence my decision whether or not to return next week. ;)  I made more friends standing in line… met a group of people around my age who are just beginning a DTS program with YWAM (Youth With A Mission).  I have a couple friends who have worked in connection with YWAM, and when our youth group went to the Dominican Republic (in 2005?) we stayed on a YWAM base… so it was nice to be able to connect with some locals over that shared connection.  I also met a freelance photographer who offered to show me the most photographic locations.  The two girls I met right off the bat gave me their numbers and offered to take me to the beach if I want.  One of them hugged me when I left, and I usually cringe at awkward, socially-required physical displays of affection, but in this case I found it to be quite genuine and sweet.  So yes, I think I’ll be returning to North Shore. :)

Then I came home from church and worked the whole day.  Meh. 

I did catch up on the latest episode of “Project Runway” just before I went to bed… though I’m not sure it was a good idea.  As a surprise to all of the Project Runway contestants, who spend weeks competing and have little to no personal time, the producers flew in all of the contestants’ parents for a visit.  All of the contestants were weeping as they reunited with their families and it was all sappy, lovey-dovey, blah blah blah… but being so far away from home, it was touching for me to watch.  And made me slightly homesick… I had to wear my Confidence Hat to bed. 

Anyway, tomorrow is another full day of workworkandmorework, but part of that is going to be spend running errands for my employer in Lihue, which I won’t mind at all!  I love driving and sightseeing, and I’ll get to do a bit of exploring in the process. 

Miss everyone!  



Yes, that is a mammoth leaf that the gecko is sitting on, and no, this photo isn't color enhanced. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Laura! Good to read your blog and know you are doing OK. Sounds like you are having a very interesting time. Hope you found and got rid of your friend (the spider} HAHA. I,m sure your job will come easier as me goes by. We miss you and think about you every day. LOVE YA!!! Grandma & Papa