Monday, October 18, 2010

Anini Beach

I went to Anini Beach today.  Secret Beach was wonderful because of the privacy it provided… but I’d exchange all the privacy in the world for the calm, clear, tropic green-blue water of Anini Beach.  No wonder it’s so popular—it’s beautiful.  I walked out all the way up to my ribs (no waves!) and could still clearly see my feet.  There were lots of people snorkeling… there’s a big reef just beyond Anini, so I think it provides a lot of interesting underwater sea-life scenery.  I may have to invest in a snorkeling mask if I come back in January.  These shots were taken from the water and are of the north and south sides of the bay. 






And look!  Here are my feet in the water. :)





These pictures are going to start to look the same, but they’re all beautiful… so here are a couple shots of the beach/ocean from land. 






Some of the trees here are amazing, twisted pieces of art… have a look:






Found this on a rock and snapped a picture… I can’t quite decide whether I think it’s an uplifting ministry… or a cutesy, over-simplified piece of pushy Christian-ese.  Leaning toward the latter.  But as I am, in fact, a Christian… I found it to be relevant. 




Between Kilauea (where I live) and Princeville there is a bridge that I have claimed as my favorite section of road anywhere, ever.  The highway both before and after the bridge is shrouded in overgrown, jungle-like vegetation… but the overgrowth clears for the duration of the bridge, and is replaced with hundreds of flat-top trees.  The trees look like they’re from another planet, and the bridge cuts through them at a curve.  It’s so hard to appreciate the view from the photograph, but maybe you can use your imagination to pretend it’s totally awesome… because in real life, it is. 



           
And here, ladies and gentlemen, is a picture I forgot I’d taken of one of the Cane Spiders in my house.  It’s taken from down the hall (as close as I could get without have a seizure) and zoomed in close, which is why it’s so blurry.  But even with the blurriness you can see its pincers and the light reflecting off of its eyes.  After the moment that I post this, I’m vowing never to look at the picture again.




Aloha! :) 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That thing is way too creepy!!

aunt jeannette said...

that is so funny - I took a pix of my feet while in the water at our favorite island in Thailand. We are tickled by the same things! And I can imagine how awesome the bridge is from the pix! Also, the beach with he trees off towards a small 'island' perhaps reminds me of the beach in the dominican, did you join the crazy ones that walked/swam over to it?

Joey said...

LAURA HOLY FREAKING COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I would cry if I ever saw something like that! What do you do? Do you kill them? let them live??? it makes me cringe!