Monday, October 11, 2010

Princeville and Pictures

Hello everyone. :) 

Because I had a relatively boring day of work, tonight’s post will be a conglomeration of random things. 


1. On my way into Princeville this morning, I stopped at “Scenic Overlook,” which is a spot for cars to pull over and take pictures of the mountains and the plantations below them.  I should know more about the plantations… there were plaques describing them and the sort of wildlife that inhabit the area, but I was on the phone and distracted.  Anyway, here’s a photo of some of the majestic mountains.  I can’t wait to hike them and see the waterfalls. :)




2.  Then I went to the grocery store—the same one as last week, Foodland—located in a little plaza of touristy shops and bakeries/ice cream parlors.  Because everything has to be imported and the prices are outlandish, I spent over $100 on food that wouldn’t have cost $60 in Ohio.  To give you an idea, here are a couple of the prices that made me cringe:

1 quart of milk: $3.29
1 box of Cheerios: $6:49
1 loaf of bread: $2.59

I’m ok with paying what I have to for the food I want—if it’s my only expense I can hardly complain.  I got a small jar of Strawberry Guava jam that I’m pretty excited about. :)  Interesting fact: my employer doesn’t have a microwave because he’s very health-conscious and disapproves of the radiation… so I’m not sure how I’m going to make the popcorn I bought last week.  Hmm. 


3.  When I got home I worked the rest of the day/night… but I also snapped a couple pictures of my bedroom just to give ya’ll an idea of what it looks like.  Hard to tell in the pictures, but the bed is queen-sized (from Spain), and there's enough floor space for me to breakdance (if I knew how.  I'd settle for the typical dance-half-naked-in-your-bedroom moves, but there are too many windows and no curtains.  Things mold quickly in Hawaii, so most homes don't have curtains or carpeting.)  The dresser, HUGE closet, and entrance door are in the corner in which I stood to take the pictures. 









That’s all for tonight… aloha! :) 




3 comments:

SheilaJo said...

Thanks for writing and letting us in on all these tidbits. Your new world is quite interesting! Sounds like you have alot of fun stuff planned for this week, I'm glad for that. Enjoy! Hmmm . . . microwave popcorn without a microwave. I might have a couple thoughts. Perhaps you should facebook that question and see what great ideas people might offer. LOVE YOU and MISS YOU,
~mom

aunt jeannette said...

Once again, I remember why I like you so much..... you mske me lsugh. You know, that throw your head back and from yor belly laugh. The dancing made me think of outer banks and the wrap skirts you and stacey bought. Remember the one "dress" you made that we all loved. There was one problem with it - no coverage for the back side! Memories most often are not created they just happen when you least expect it. aunt j

Stacey Mercer said...

Missing you today and wishing I could jump on a plane and join you for a hike in those gorgeous mountains! Glad to hear things are going well for you :) Keep enjoying all the new experiences God has planned for you
<3 Stace