Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Parents' Visit to Kauai: Day 6


Hello all! I had a very relaxing day today—the first in a few weeks. I’m finally on top of my work to-do list, but have fallen wayyyyyy behind in my personal to-do list. Things like writing, laundry, reading, and keeping up with friends/family have gotten put on the backburner the last few weeks, and I’m hoping that after relaxing today I’ll be motivated to spend the rest of this week catching up. And working. There’s always that. I did make time to trim my hair and cut a bunch of crazy layers in it this morning, which has needed to happen for a while.  

Bible Study was nice tonight. Shikinah made enough spaghetti to feed all of us and all the neighbors, so everyone took home a plate of leftovers. We also had garlic bread (which I brought), salad, cookies, cupcakes, and pie.

Ok, and now, finally: a recap of day 6 (Sunday, Feb 6) of my parents’ vacation to Kauai!

I picked my parents up early (7:45) so I could be at the church on time (8:00) to practice with the band before the service. My parents took my car to get coffee at the Kilauea bakery down the street. They came back a few minutes early (and when I say a few minutes early, I mean a few minutes before the service was scheduled to start. It always starts 15-20 minutes late) and had time to meet Mark (the worship leader) and Sage (his wife.) Church went well, and we stuck around for quite a while afterward. We ate lunch outside on the benches, and my parents met Ryan, Shikinah, Travis, Pastor Steve and his wish Trisha, and numerous other people—some who I knew, some who I hadn’t yet met. (I’m way too lazy to think hard about whether that should be “who” or “whom.” Just a disclaimer.) We walked through the new church building, which is still under construction. As much as I love the open-air tent in which we currently meet, it will be nice to finally get in the building and have a decent sound system.

After church, I took my parents home to meet my boss and give them a tour of the house. We made it a quick stop, because we had plans to hike to the Kilauea waterfall, and it looked like it was going to rain any moment. We went back to the resort to change, then drove back to Kilauea to hike to the falls. In the meantime, it started to rain—but not hard enough to stop us. The head of the trail is located behind a construction site, so we walked through mounds of red dirt/mud to get to the path, and then hiked the mile back to the falls. It’s not a difficult hike by any means, but there are steep hills that get very slippery when it rains. We took our time, and once we got to the waterfall it was completely worth it. On a nice day we would have spent a while swimming in the hole and sunning on the banks, but since it was cold and wet we didn’t waste any time taking pictures (the following are the only ones I have at the moment) and heading back. By the time we got back to the car, my slippers were caked in muddy red dirt. Side note: I will never, ever wear slippers on a hike again.




We went back to the resort and got cleaned up. My mom spent a while scraping the mud off their shoes and then my dad washed them in the tub, but mine were so stretched and dirty that I just threw them away. We spent the rest of the afternoon watching the last half of the Super Bowl, then went to Hanalei Dolphin restaurant for dinner. Dad and I both ordered the teriyaki ahi and veggie k-bob. After dinner, we hung out for a bit in my parents’ room at the resort, watching TV and deciding how to spend our time the next day (Monday) before their plane left. The end!

I was planning to blog some more, but I’ve hit a wall. I’m done for the night. I'm not even going to proofread. Aloha!

No comments: