Friday, March 4, 2011

One of those weeks.


So I’m not going to lie; I’ve had a pretty sucky week. Part of it, admittedly, may have to do with the fact that I’m PSMing (that’s right, I said it), but the other part is a combination of work exhaustion, missing every person I’ve ever met who doesn’t live in Kauai (my brother most severely), and the looming death of my cat whom I’ve had since I was ten.

Does anyone else just “know things” sometimes? Not in a psychic way, exactly, but intuitively? When I first began to consider taking this job in Kauai, one of my first thoughts (and I’m not kidding) was, “Peaches is going to die in early 2011, and I won’t be home for it.” That was over seven months ago, before she was even sick. Last night I dreamed that my parents came to visit (again) in Kauai, tagged along to Bible Study, and told me in front of all my friends that Peaches had died the day before they’d flown out. I woke up to a text from my mom asking me to call her, and when I did she told me that my cat had cancer and would probably need to be put down in a few weeks.

I’m not trying to be dramatic—it’s just weird, isn’t it?

In any case, as sad as I am that I won’t be able to spend the last few weeks of my cat’s life with her, I’m actually relieved that I’ll be halfway across the world when she dies. I would rather be locked in a pitch-black room with ten thousand cane spiders than take Peaches to the vet to have her “put out of her misery.” Honestly. I would never, ever, ever be able to muster the willpower to do it. I left Ohio in January knowing that it would be the last time I saw her, so I’ve already said my goodbyes (if such exchanges can be had with an animal)… and even though I’m sure I’ll still bawl like a baby when the day comes to put her down, I don’t think I could deal with it any other way. (I’ve given up trying not to be dramatic. I am dramatic, and I love my cat.)     

Right, so. Crappy week, but whatever. Here are some things I enjoyed (or tried to) this week:

1. Mini Golf on Wednesday with the Bible Study crew. Evidently, no one calls it “putt-putt” here. Weirdos. I paired up with Shikinah, Michelle, and Olivia to play a round, and Michelle and I tied for first… but we didn’t really play competitively (which took much self-control, on my part.) We had gelato afterwards and sat around talking. Fun night.  

2. This awesome snail I found on the stone pathway beside my patio.  It’s hard to tell size, but it’s about four times as big as the one I took a picture of a few weeks ago.


3. Coffee-flavored ice cream.

4. Sushi.

5. Leftover half-priced Valentine’s Day candy. (Anyone else see a theme, here? I’m a stress eater.)

6. Radnight. We played an awesome game called Zip-Bong. Again, my competitive side came through and I made it to nearly the last round before I showed my teeth (automatic disqualification.) It’s such a nice break to get out of the house on Thursday nights and play ridiculous games with ridiculous kids (and ridiculous adults) and laugh at ridiculous stupid stuff. 

7. Constant rain. It's been pouring for days (and nights) and we're under all sorts of flood warnings, but for some reason... I love it. The sound is so soothing, and the weather is still warm. If there were ever a time to make out in the rain (it's on my bucket list), this would be it. Takers?  

8. How I Met Your Mother. I’m midway through Season 2, and I’m in love with the characters.

9. Angry Birds. ‘Nuff said.

10. Roadtrip/Couchsurfing/Writing plans. So I’ve been in contact with a group of people through the Couchsurfing network who are setting up Writer Houses in select locations across the globe. There’s potentially going to be a WH starting in California this summer, and I’m interested in being a part of it. It embodies my ideal existence: a group of writers living in community with each other, sharing food and cooking together, staying up all night swapping ideas and motivating each other to write, discussing art and religion and politics (I know nothing about politics.) I doubt it will work out for me to be a part of it at this stage in my life, but if I make it through a U.S. roadtrip, a year in the city, and backpacking through Europe without falling for some sexy, foreign hippie and getting married, I will absolutely pursue living in such a community.  

The end. Next time I’ll continue recapping my parents’ vacation. Yeah, yeah… I’m dragging it out. Get over it. I’m grumpy. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I love you!!!
2. You are not being dramatic about your cat!..I would be exactly the same way if not worse..and this news makes me so sad!!..I remember when you got peaches!!..stay strong darling!
3. I miss you!
4. I hope things start looking up for you..maybe after the week is over things will get better...haha
<3 Anissa

Anonymous said...

I can certainly understand being upset about your cat- I just lost my childhood cat last year, and it was certainly quite sad for me.

What I will say, when you have a bad week....don't forget to take in the beauty of nature around you. It sounds like you live in a wonderful place for that.

Anonymous said...

Glad you found some things to enjoy. Sure hope this week has some happier moments! You do have a great conference to be looking forward to - that's something pretty exciting!! Love You Much, Miss You Lots ~mom