Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Some thoughts on some things.

Bible Study was interesting tonight.  We hosted a guest preacher who was visiting from Texas, and he chose to speak about the dangers of legalism within the church.  The discussion got slightly heated toward the end.  He was basically asserting that not only do works not play any role in our salvation (with which I agree), but that no part of the law has any significance to Christianity, and ultimately, in a roundabout way, that neither do works. Most of us weren’t able to accept all parts of that claim, so in the end we agreed to disagree until we had studied the matter further.  I think we all felt a bit disarmed by the time Bible Study ended… It’s alarming to have someone refute with evidence something you’ve believed all of your life to be a truth.  But it wasn’t just the living under the law discussion that made us finally shut up and go, “Wow, I really don’t know anything about anything.”  We touched on topics like total depravity, compulsory confession, and faith vs. works… all without coming to any conclusions. 

The older I get, and the more I experience the world and the people in it, and the more I realize that I don’t know… the more I think that being a Christian is nothing like what I’ve always been taught.  In fact, I bet most of us have most of everything wrong.

I’m reading the book Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell, and so far it’s been focusing on the fact that we as humans are wholly incapable of comprehending God, the universe, or any aspect of spirituality.  We can understand religion because it is man-made, but God is beyond the limitations of the human brain and language constructs.  I’ve spent the last five years coming to this conclusion, but have still wrestled with the itchy need to have an informed opinion about every doctrinal matter.  I think this book is going to help me to finally come to peace with not completely understanding faith.  I am ready to feel that freedom.  I believe I'm embarking on some sort of journey to reconcile the man-made religion of Christianity with my own personal, spiritual convictions... and certain aspects of living in Hawaii and being surrounded by these people are going to help cultivate that reconciliation.  

In other news, I’m evidently recreating my life in Ohio by playing the keyboard for the North Shore worship team and helping with their middle school youth group.  I practiced with the worship band this evening (going to play on Sunday), and tomorrow night I’ll be experiencing my first “Rad Night” (the name for their middle school ministry.)  When I left home a few days ago, I honestly had no intentions of getting involved beyond church and Bible Study.  In fact, I was pretty miserable to leave the ONE80 band and DFC.  That longing for my home band and church won’t go away… but it’s very evident to me how God has swooped in and transformed all of my negative emotions into revelations.  

Oh, and the McDonalds’ in Kauai have coconut pies!  Who knew?!

4 comments:

Brandi Leigh said...

Velvet Elvis is one of my favorite books and I had a similar experience while reading it, though it was quite a few years ago ; ) And I love you and miss you and wanted to comment since you have to respond!!

Laura said...

Yes, I think I'm going to like it. Next on my list is "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand, your favorite. ;) I love you and miss you too!!

steeereo said...

My post is not that deep - I just want to know - have you tried the coconut pies and what do you think! j.

Laura said...

Eh... I tried them this morning, and I'm not that impressed. I don't think it's because they're bad... I think it's because I just don't appreciate artificial coconut flavoring. I LOVE fresh coconut meat and milk, especially on a hot day... mmm. But yeah, no more McDonalds coconut pies for me.