Sunday, January 16, 2011

Of Monsoons and Manliness


It’s been a lazy couple of days. Not work-wise, but otherwise. Yesterday was HOT! Not sure what the temp was, but I worked up a sweat slicing cheese for my sandwich.  Not kidding, I really did. Slicing cheese is always a serious matter for me, though… my roomie Julie used to make fun of how hard I would concentrate to slice it as thin as possible. Anyway, yesterday was hot.

But today was a monsoon. We had an afternoon meeting for Radnight staff at the church, and we nearly got blown out of the tent. Chairs were flying everywhere, rain was coming in sideways, and we couldn’t hear each other talk over the roar of the wind. Since then it’s continued to be dreary and chilly. I’m wearing sweatpants and a long-sleeved shirt… in Hawaii. Yesterday I was sweating in the cold shower. 

Obviously, I don’t have much to report. Church went well this morning. I enjoyed playing with the band, although I’ve been spoiled the last several months with in-ear monitors… now it’s back to wedges with only one crappy mix. Hopefully next week will sound a little better. But if not… I’ll get used to it. :)

Oh! Tomorrow I’m going to have my first experience with sushi. Sort of. I tried a bit at a barbeque I went to with Mark back in October, but it wasn’t really enough to fully experience the dish. And I don’t remember it having much of a taste. Tomorrow I’m meeting Shikinah and some friends for dinner at a sushi place… I told her she’ll be responsible for ordering for me, as I have no idea what is what when it comes to sushi. But I’m excited to try it.

And the highlight of my day:

The older Hawaiian man who plays the ukulele prelude every Sunday morning tracked me down after the service to tell me that I play the keyboard like a man. Haha. Evidently he’s used to most women playing delicately/softly, but he was impressed that I pound on it and “play with passion.” In any case, it was the most amusing compliment I’ve ever received (and he did mean it as a compliment.)

The end!
            

4 comments:

SheilaJo said...

This is especially funny to those of us who are Seinfeld fans, "she has man-hands."

Laura said...

Haven't seen that episode. :)

steeereo said...

I love the man hands! Freezing here, but Adam said Min and Lou watched the monsoon through the florida room windows. Sushi - have eaten one type and it is ok. Gary tried it in Taiwan since people have done it there forever. Just not a fan of it - may be due to all my stomach issues. dr butt (may name for him) would like me to donate some more body parts to science - not really ready for that! Wild nite at the steer household - gary went to bed - stacey and I took over the remote! then stacey went to bed too - it's just barely 10pm! jealous, jealous of your life! j

Laura said...

Tee-hee... Dr. Butt. :) Yeah, the sushi was good... but something about it just makes me nervous. And there's nothing wrong with going to bed at 10!