Saturday, January 29, 2011

Finally, an update.

I’ll be honest, I don’t feel at all like blogging. But I’m going to make myself do it.

I’ve been MIA the past week… not because I’ve been particularly busy with work, but because I haven’t really done many “exciting” things. My life in Hawaii is becoming less public and more personal. I have friends—real friends, I would say—and a church in which I’ve suddenly become super involved…so I’ve begun to put focus on those things, which makes for a boring blog. My life in Hawaii has slowly settled into less of an adventure and more of a… well… life.

But the good news is, I live in a touristy paradise, so I’ll still have the occasional adventure. :)

Today I hiked to the Kilauea waterfall. I only had a few hours between the ladies’ tea at church (I led worship with my friends Espi and Rachel) and work in the afternoon, so it was a quick stop… just long enough for a dip in the water, a snack, and a quick lie in the sun. I took some pictures, and yes, I was a creeper and photographed a mother and her children. Eh, they’ll never know. Look closely in the first picture to see the two guys... gives you an idea of the size of the falls. We parked our cars at the same time and they asked me directions to the falls (I love feeling like a local). I told them and they went on ahead... but they got lost and I beat them by about 15 minutes. At least they still made it! They said the final destination was definitely worth the accidental detour. 





And here are a few pictures I took on my iPhone at the ladies’ tea. The first two are of hula dancers; the third is a team of sign language interpreters. In the last picture, the girl on the left is my friend Michelle, the missionary from Kenya; the girl second from the right is my friend Anya, from Russia (she has the coolest accent), who’s moving to Texas with her husband Eric next month. We’ll miss them!





In other news, my parents are coming to visit on Monday! I’m so excited to show them around and become a tourist again. I’ll hopefully have lots of pictures and stories to share after next week, so my blog won’t be quite so dead. However, after next week I may start switching some things up just to give myself a bit of a reprieve from the typical “this is what I did today” essay structure. In effort to stave off my blog boredom, I may start posting poetry, lone pictures, or playing with the format a bit. Just a forewarning.

And by the way, I monetized my blog to try to make a bit of money (hence the ads on the sidebar), and with the monetization I also gained a hit counter… my goodness, who are all you people?! Twenty-three followers, but hundreds of hits a day? Not that I’m complaining—that’s wonderful! If nothing else, it’s motivation to continue blogging. Thanks to everyone who has been reading, whoever you are. :)

2 comments:

Ashley Clark said...

Hi Laura!
I have been reading your blog ever since I saw on facebook you were leaving for Hawaii. I love looking at your pictures, and hearing your stories! Makes me remember our suite days! :) Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Andy said...

Hundreds? Well let's see... I check if you've posted when I wake up, again after I shower, then quickly while my eggs are frying, then once I get to work, in case you posted while I was on the way. Then a few more times before lunch, during lunch, and after lunch...