Sunday, February 20, 2011

Birds and Snails

I’ll continue recapping my parents’ Kauai visit tomorrow or Tuesday… but tonight, I’m sharing a couple interesting wildlife snapshots I was able to capture with my iPhone. Yesterday, when I was driving home through my gated community, I saw this massive white bird. I know it just looks like a seagull in the pictures, but it was probably the size of a swan and its bill was shaped like a toucan’s.  It looked like it was wearing smoky eye shadow and liner... seriously, check out its face (you can click the pictures to make them bigger.) Really, it was a cool bird. I stopped the car and gawked at it for at least five minutes. It stared back at me for a while, then it walked away with the gait of a crane, bobbing its head forward and backwards.






Then today at church, I nearly stepped on a snail that was slowly making its way toward my keyboard pedal. I was pretty excited; I’ve never come across a wild snail before. I picked it up by its shell and it retracted, but soon enough it came back out and posed for a photo. I transported him to safety in the bushes by the school. The rest of the band seemed amused that I was so enthralled by the snail, which was evidently a baby… I’m told that they can grow up to the size of a melon.





That’s all for tonight. Tomorrow I’m going out to dinner (and maybe karaoke? Haha) with a group of CouchSurfers… should be fun. Aloha!


No comments: